Friday, August 26, 2011

"My Problem"



"Mom, I was sad today."

"Why, Joseph?  What made you sad?"

"Dan was making fun of Trey.  He was laughing at him because Trey likes 'Dinosaur Train'.  He said that he was going to grow up to be a man and watch 'Dinosaur Train' with his coffee.  He said it was a baby show.  He said Trey was stupid for watching it.  Is that true?"

"No, Joesph.  It isn't true.  That is a good show and I like it too."

"But Dan made Trey cry.  It made me cry too.  Because I love Trey.  Because he is like me.  He has problems.  He has autism like me mom.  And that makes me sad."

"Whoa...wait a minute, buddy!  Problems?  Who says you have problems?  What color is your hair?"

"Brown."

"Is that a problem?"

"No."

"What color are your eyes?"

"Um, I don't know.  Are they brown?"

"Yep.  And is that a problem?"

Giggling he replies, "No."

"And how many hands to you have?"

Laughing hard he says, "Two."

"And is THAT a problem?"

"NO MA'AM!"

"Then, baby, your autism is part of you.  It is not a problem.  It is different.  It is a challenge.  It makes you work hard but it is who you are!  You are NOT a problem.  Momma loves you.  I love you so much....just the way you are."

"I love you too, momma......and Trey.  I love him too!"

It is all I have the strength to post today.  I am so fearful for his future because of the cruelty of other children.  I was awake again with nightmares.  And I wonder if I was right for saying he doesn't have problems......I guess I will always second guess myself.

I am taking him to his first football game tonight.  His sister is in the high school band so we are going to try a game.  I pray that he can handle the noise and excitement.  You never know how these things can unfold.  Pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment