Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Moments Like This

Sleeping peacefully on the couch as if in prayer.

Moments like we had this past weekend are God's little reminders to me of how blessed I am to have this incredible child in my life.  In His mercy, God opens these windows of time where, for a moment, I am able to look into Joseph's heart and soul and really see him.  I see the little boy that is happy and yet profoundly sad.  The little boy who is at peace and yet terribly afraid.  The little boy who is full of joy and yet so angry.  For a moment he looks me in the eye and we really connect....and then it's gone.  I honestly do not recall the last time I enjoyed a whole weekend with Joseph and the rest of my family.  Joseph did not give me one moment but several of them where his camouflage was gone and I really saw an innocent sweet angel.  We laughed and we played.  He was so at peace.  He would go to his bed on his own and fall asleep.  He was concerned about the rest of us.  He reminded everyone of rules.  He taught us how things were done at Villa Marie and voiced his opinion that it would be better if it was done that way at home.  His infectious smile was back!  The dark circles under his eyes were gone.  I can only think that his new medication and his time at Villa Marie are to credit for this amazing transformation.  I knew that daily mass, the sisters, and sleeping just steps from Our Lord would make some difference in his life.  Will it last?  You know, I am past asking that question.  I just soak in every single moment like this and treasure it.  It gives me the energy and strength I need to face the next battle.  He called me last night.  He was missing me.  He said he loves me.  I heard it and felt he meant it.  I dreamed about him all night.  I can't wait to see him again.  No one but the mother of a child like Joseph can understand how bittersweet that is to say. 
His reaction to my question, "What do you think about all this snow?!?!"

Family fun at the lake!  That's Joseph flying down the hill!

3 comments:

  1. I need you to write some papers for me for school! You are an amazing writer! I am happy Joseph is doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, sweetheart. Let's hope others think I write well after it is all put in book form.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean. YOu have to hold onto those few, precious moments for when the difficult ones come. The difficult ones feel like they will swallow you up and kill you.

    ReplyDelete