Friday, August 19, 2011

Going Solo


We made a big decision this week.  We decided to send the rest of the children, minus Joseph, to Catholic school.  When I put them in school 2 years ago our plan was to send each child to the Catholic middle school/high school when it was time.  This year I would have had 2 at Catholic schools and the bottom three were to be in the public school.  I started to question the sanity of that decision after spending the summer with Joseph....without any camps.....without any intervention.....without relief.  It simply is not fair to expect the other children to want to be around him all the time when I look so forward to the break once school starts.  He bullies them and is aggressive toward them every chance he gets.  I want them to focus on their schooling and friends without constantly being worried about him.

The other reason is because they need to get as much grace and strength in order to deal with this difficult situation.  As they grow I want them to love their brother and not view him as a cross.  Our faith is still the center of our lives but I have noticed a shift lately.  It seems as if the chaos of autism is trying to become the center of it all and I refuse to allow this to happen.  Also, the baby of the 8 can basically start his school years going through the same school with the same friends from beginning to end.  Watching the middle school child having to make the transition helped us in making this decision.

Joseph will have to go to the public school throughout his school years because they have the help he needs.  AND HE LOVES IT!  His teachers are his "best friends" and they are the best in the world.  They have not only come to the rescue with Joseph but they have included all my children.  This is one of the greatest public schools in the country with the greatest teachers!!!!  It was not because of the wonderful staff that we decided on Joseph going solo.  It was actually a hard decision for me to make because I am so attached to this school.  They were so good with the HUGE transition a few years ago when we went from homeschooling for 16 years to putting all the children in school.  They were my angels, my heroes, and my friends.  I will forever be indebted to them!!!!

Now the poor teachers at the other schools....well....Mr. R summed it up perfectly.  Our junior told him that in 6 years he will have 4 of my children in the same school.  His response?  "Well...I know when I'm retiring!"
Going Solo....a big step for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment