Monday, August 15, 2011

A Mission Begins

Our family spent a day with some wonderful families this past Saturday at an Easter Seals Day Camp.  I have finally gotten some human contacts and faces to put to the autistic support groups in my area.  I look so forward to putting my time and energy into this cause.  They, too, were excited with some of my ideas.  I feel that Joseph has given our family a purpose in life.  I feel as if the tide has turned for us.  We feel that we have a mission and it is just beginning!!!

Mattie has been asked to sing the National Anthem for the walk in October!  She has been talking the past year or so about going into a career having to do with special needs children.  I think she has found it.  She is talking about becoming an occupational therapist!  Even Jeffrey turned out to help us Saturday and has so much fun with these children. 

These children are so beautiful.  They are forever young.  It brings the child out in all of us.  I am reminded that there are extremes in being a child.  Extreme happiness and extreme anger.  Extreme joy and extreme sadness.  The list could go on endlessly.  But when you see the innocence, the smiles, the joy it is enough to grow the love in your heart so that you are able to deal with the next week, or month, or year.  And now I understand completely the saying that "when you have seen one autistic child....you have seen one autistic child."  They are all so different!

An update to Joseph's meltdown week:  I feel sure that his "best friend" was correct and that the full moon and barometric changes were messing with him.  His behavior is much better now but he is back to not sleeping at night.  I am so exhausted!  School starts in one week and I plan to sleep....the. whole. first. week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment