Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Big Day


Today is Joseph's first day of school in 4th grade!  He was so excited!!!  Yesterday we went up to the school for a walk-through.  He and his other special needs friends got to see their new classrooms, meet the teachers and get familiar with the school again before the excitement and confusion of the first day.  He was insistent upon riding the bus to school this morning.  He says he is a big boy now and doesn't want me bringing him.  I called his bus driver and worked out a safe plan but I am still nervous.  We had a problem last night on a playground with some children making fun of him and the way he talks.  I was so crushed.  I had nightmares all night about the bus full of kids making fun of him.  It is so hard to not want to intervene at every moment when it comes to him.  My heart hurts for him so much!

On another note, I had a meeting with some wonderful ladies yesterday morning regarding my attempt to get my husband's employer to sponsor the upcoming walk.  I was shot down.  But that shall not stop me.  I plan to go to higher powers.  The statistics are there and they are real.  1 in 110 children are diagnosed with autism.  Do I believe this could be exaggerated?  Maybe.  But it doesn't change the fact that there is a very real problem.  Even if it is 1 in 500 children we have a serious issue here.  Look at the comparisons:
  • Muscular Dystrophy affects 1 in 100,000
  • Leukemia affects 1 in 1,200
  • Juvenile Diabetes affects 1 in 500
  • Aids affects 1 in 300
  • Autism affect 1 in 110
There are so many theories out there on why we are seeing an increase in autism.  I am leaning toward the ones now that focus on genetics.  One study theorizes that the genetic predisposition is present at birth and there is a trigger, usually something traumatic, that brings out the autistic symptoms.  A traumatic birth is way up there on the theories with the top traumas being the cord around the neck, low apgar scores, high blood pressure moms, etc.  Could we fit any more perfectly into this group???

So today I will be without my joyful challenge in life as he begins 4th grade.  A special prayer was said this morning for his teachers and bus driver.  He was twisting his fingers as he got on the bus and was scared he would get lost without his siblings.  I asked if he wanted me to bring him and he assured me that he did NOT!  But wanted me to call Mrs. H and let her know he was on his way.....

I got a little smile!

God have mercy on our little Camouflage Angel.  Give him the graces to face his fears and challenges in life.  Carry him in Your arms and show him the way!!!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment