Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Miracles DO Happen

I am often lost in the everyday expectations of my vocation without realizing that I have become indifferent to the crosses I have been asked to carry.  I wake each morning knowing what is expected and what to expect.  And then, out of no where, God jars me with something different.  It is Lent.  I fully expected this past weekend would be hard and maybe even harder than the weekends before.  But He gave me a gift instead.

Things had gotten so hard over the past few weekends when Joseph was home that we had decided I would find a place to stay with him.  Perhaps someone had a basement room I could use or a camper?  I am still looking if anyone has any ideas.  But this past weekend things were different.  When I picked him up Friday at school I could tell right away that he was at peace.  He was smiling.  He was happy.  He told me wonderful stories full of faith and hope.  He shared with me that he had given up Transformers for Lent so he would not be talking about it over the weekend.  He went happily and without a fight to his therapist.  There were a few issues.  He had problems sleeping all weekend and I was up with him all night Saturday.  But we had such a beautiful wonderful weekend.  He was my old Joseph.  The Joseph we knew before his brain injury.

I see my little Jo-Jo sometimes but it is a fleeting moment.  And then his anger returns.  I hope and pray that this is a real miracle.  He is going to daily mass and loves saying his prayers and singing to Jesus.  He is around such kind and pious Sisters.  He is blossoming.  I took him to get an ice cream before bringing him back to school Sunday night.  He told me how much he loved me and that he was so happy this weekend.  He said he was worried about going back to school because he was going to miss me so much.  He said he had a good idea....how 'bout we take a picture every time we do something special together so we could remember it forever.  So...I did!

Last week he had a day off school and I took him up to his old school to visit his friends.  They were so sweet to him.  They asked him so many questions.  He told them about being in the special Olympics.  Here he is telling them all about being on the basketball team!
Showing them how he dribbles the ball!

Joseph is on a prayer list for the canonization of Frank Duff, the founder of The Legion of Mary.  This may not be enough to be declared a miracle for a canonization but if he stays on this path it will be a huge miracle to my family.  Please consider saying this prayer with our family. 

God our Father, You inspired your servant Frank Duff with a profound insight into the mystery of your Church, the Body of Christ, and of the place of Mary the Mother of Jesus in this mystery. In his immense desire to share this insight with others and in filial dependence on Mary he formed her Legion to be a sign of her maternal love for the world and a means of enlisting all her children in the Church's evangelizing work. We thank you, Father, for the graces conferred on him and for the benefits accruing to the Church from his courageous and shining faith. With confidence we beg you that through his intercession you grant the petition we lay before you ..... We ask too that if it be in accordance with your will, the holiness of his life may be acknowledged by the Church for the glory of Your Name, through Christ Our Lord. Amen.

4 comments:

  1. your words are so beautiful and heartfelt Missy. so many things to embrace as well as endure as a human and as a mother. With God's guidance and hands ya'll will make it through this journey aspect of life. most certainly said the prayer. prayers for not only Joseph but for all the family who are affected in so many different ways. love you ------Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, May God grant Joseph, you and your family the peace that is needed. I wish that I had 1/10 of your faith. You are truly an inspirational, spiritual warrior! May God bless you and your family!!! Know that you and your family are in our prayers.

      Nicole (Johns) See

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much, Shelly! I know it just seems like words when people say thanks for prayers but I honestly believe we are held up by God's grace through the prayers of our friends. Love you too! ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Nicole. I am really a weak woman who lives on the edge of faithlessness. Any strength you see in me comes from Him! I am glad He shines through me. And your prayers mean the world to us! I am reminded of a talk I heard recently about God not giving us crosses too heavy to carry. That is not true. Sometimes He does, just as He gave Jesus a cross He could not carry. However, He sends us friends to help us carry that cross just as He sent Simon of Cyrene to help Our Lord. He has sent me MANY Simons. God bless you all! You will rejoice in heaven with my little Joseph one day!

    ReplyDelete