Monday, August 23, 2010

Temple Grandin

If you have not heard of her you have to read her story!  http://www.templegrandin.com/  She is severely autistic but has overcome her problems (they are NOT cured...she has just learned to deal with them) and she is now a professor and animal scientist.  She speaks at conferences across the country.  She is the speaker in the last video link I sent.  There is a movie out about her that is excellent.  We rented it yesterday and watched it twice back to back. 

When Joseph saw what movie I rented he asked me about her.  He wanted to know if she was a cowgirl.  I told him the truth.  He wanted to know what autism is and I told him it is something you are born with that makes you see the world in a different way than other people do.  He asked me if this is what he has.  I never lie to my children.  I honestly don't.  If they ask me about the "tooth fairy" or Santa or Easter Bunny I tell them the truth.  So, I gently said "yes, this is what you have but you will see that you can become!" 

I learned several things from watching the movie.  I see why certain things bother him and why he destroys them.  I am anxious to get him into the therapy to see what type of autism he has.  I think his strengths will be in music and math.  We will see.  Please rent this movie!  It is so amazing to look inside the mind of an autistic person.  I see the fear Joseph has been living with.  He, too, seems happy to know what is wrong and that we can do something to make it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment