Thursday, January 5, 2012

Ville Mary ~ A New Chapter


Yesterday Joseph went and spent the day at Ville Mary, a small private school run by the Catholic Church in Lincoln.  It was a trial day to see if he liked it and if the sisters thought he would do well going to school there.  Most of the children I saw have autism although they do take some with Down Syndrome and other needs.  However, they will not accept anyone who is not self reliant and needs a one-on-one para.  Everything on paper, medically, physically, and with his diagnosis looked good but they needed to see how a day would go with him.  Joseph would be the youngest enrolled at the moment with 2 other boys being 11 years old.

When I went to pick him up he was out in front playing ball with all the children.    He was smiling and seemed to have many friends already.  I watched from a distance at first and then got out of the car just to see what his reaction to seeing me would be.  He did not wave, did not walk over, did not even stare hard....he just kept playing and smiling.

The sister who is in charge took me inside and showed me Joseph's work and filled me in on his day.  They loved him!  She said that as the day went on he continued to open and shine.  She said the staff had already met and all agreed that Joseph would be a great fit and they would love to have him!!!!  She gave me the paperwork and I just went into a moment of panic, joy, sorrow, and thanksgiving all at once.  And then Joseph came in and said, "Mom, when are you leaving?  What are you here for?"  I said, "I'm here to pick you up!"  He was upset and said he thought he was staying and that he did not want to leave.  That did it for me!

I signed the papers and he starts January 16th!  He still did not want to leave!  He made friends with a boy named Charlie.  He has talked about him since yesterday afternoon and is drawing pictures for him at the moment.  Joseph will board at the school Monday through Friday and come home on the weekends.  He will be home for holidays and follow the Catholic school calendar so I will have all the children at home at the same time. 

What a blessed day!  Yesterday was my birthday.  It was also the feast day of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton.  She established the first Catholic school in our country.   She is the patron saint of Catholic Schools.  She is a convert from the Episcopal faith, as am I.   Could I ask for a more appropriate patron saint???? 

The next week will be hard as we have to leave a very important and special chapter of our lives.  His special teachers at Raymond Central are the reason he has made it this far in his education and social skills.  Joseph loves superficially but to the best of his ability he really loves these teachers.  I, honestly, do not know where I would be without them.  I think this will be harder for me than for Joseph.  Crystal, you will always be my friend sent to me by God during my darkest hours.  You will never be forgotten. 

Today we go see two of his doctors as we are having some serious concerns.  He is seeing and talking to things that are not there and appears to seriously be having seizures.  So as we celebrate the joy of Ville Marie we have to face the possibility that this next chapter has more hidden surprises for us. 

St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, please continue your prayers for our transition to Ville Marie.  Mother of Mercy, thank you for bringing Joseph into your home (Ville Marie means house of Mary).  And thank you, Jesus, for sending Joseph into my life.  I have learned more from him than any other soul.  He has taught me the true meaning of seeing You in ALL Your creatures!  Please continue to help me as his mom to follow Your will in all things!  ~Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment